Hi, I’m Jessica. Writer, yogi, and surfer from The Hague, the Netherlands.
What do you do?
I think so too.
How did you get into yoga?
Initially, I started doing yoga to keep myself fit and flexible for surfing. But I also found that it helped reduce my anxiety. Yoga and meditation bring me a world of tranquility, peace, self-acceptance, and happiness. I also experience this in the ocean, when surfing a wave or waiting in a quiet lineup. For me, yoga is a way to find the magical silence in the chaos of my own thoughts and the world around me. I like to share that magic with others.
What are your passions?
Surfing and traveling make me extremely happy. A few years ago, I went on a trip around the world (with my ex-partner), and in the past five years, I’ve spent a lot of time in Indonesia. Indonesia feels a bit like a second home. Maybe that’s because part of my family is from Java.
And I love to write. Especially about subjects in the field of psychology and philosophy.
What is your mission in life?
My goal is to help break the taboo on anxiety and depression by sharing my own story and teaching people how to free themselves from their minds and feel good in their own bodies. I lost my dad to depression twenty years ago, and I’m currently writing a book about my journey through my own depressions, anxiety, and gut problems. I write about my life as a nomad, and I share all the tools that have helped/help me to live life to the fullest.
I wouldn’t mind some quietness in my head. How do I get in touch?
You can app me at +31 6 33 099 389 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Check my current yoga schedule here or:
Wanna read more?
- How Surfing Helped Me Kick Anxiety’s Ass: 4 Ways It Changed My Life
- Introducing Mindfulness: What Is Mindfulness + 10 Easy Exercises
- Yoga For Surfers: Best 7 Yoga Exercises
Resume fun facts:
- Jess hosted, organized, and taught 6 highly successful Surf & Yoga Retreats for women in the Netherlands and abroad.
- She worked as a Health Coach for BBB Health Boutique where she coached women to become a stronger version of themselves by focusing on 3 aspects: Body, Food & Mind.
- Jess studied Language, Literature, and Communication at the University of Leiden (BA), and Political Science at the University of Amsterdam (MSc – Cum Laude).
- Yoga Teacher Training (200 hrs) – Santosha Yoga
- Yoga Synergy Interactive Applied Anatomy & Physiology of Yoga Intensive (18 hrs) – Simon Borg-Olivier
- Yoga Life Coaching – Transformation Academy
- YTT Prenatal, Postnatal, Children & Teens – Santosha Yoga
- Ayurveda – Ellen Helwes
- ISA Level 1 Surf Instructor – International Surfing Association
- Beach Lifeguard Qualification – Royal Life Saving Society UK
- MSc. Political Science – Social Sciences, University of Leiden